Sunday, November 23, 2008

building modules - lcd

You dont have to have an LCD especially for this kind of project, but I decided I wanted one because you can, and it can look nice once it's running. There are a long list of LCD modules available that are compatible with the Hitachi HD44780 standard so that's a no-brainer. I went for a cheap 2x16 backlit thing from Mike's MIDI Shop (part# Nanox NDM162). The only hard part here is making up the cable that plugs between the LCD module and the CORE. You're a bit on your own here because it will depend on the LCD module you buy as to what the pin outs are, but most of them are pretty standard so you should be right. Download the datasheet for the one you buy and then read this or this and you'll soon have it worked out. I used flat ribbon cable and IDC header connectors which made it pretty easy, just go slow and think it through. I was pretty happy when after a couple of hours work the one I made worked first time...lucky!


No comments:

Post a Comment