Monday, November 24, 2008

selecting components - pots & knobs

The MIDIBox hardware dictates that your pots must be 10k linear - that's about it. What I've heard is that for this particular application you don't have to get the most expensive high-quality pots. That left a lot of choices, so I decided that I wanted a standard 16mm type with a shorter 6mm D-style stem so I could mount them close together, without having to PCB mount them and without having to trim 128 stems (annoying) and that most D-type push-on knobs would fit. I ended up finding the cheapest and best match via Electus Distribution, who supply JayCar retail outlets, so you get them cheap (part #RP7510 product page found here).


Knobs were a little harder. I won't have a rant about how expensive nice components are but it's obvious the industry manages a tight strangle-hold on profits by keeping nice components expensive - especially in relation to DIY or prototyping. After spending several weeks sifting through lots of options there was really nothing available for my purpose (I even considered making my own out of aluminium or perspex rod). I needed a simple, small diametre (more than 10mm is no fun on the fingers) that suported a color indicator or cap, that would fit a 1/4" D style pot and was less than $1 AUD each. In the end what I discovered was the nice cheap knobs I got as a sample from Electus/Jaycar might work. They fit a 6mm spline pot which was originally no good to me, but I fitted a 1/4" drill to the drill press and easilly drilled a couple out and they then fitted on perfectly - the snug fit ensured they won't come loose or need a grub-screw or need to be glued and are seriously cheap in bulk and come in 5 colors! (part numbers HK7730, HK7731, HK7732, HK7733, HK7734)


No comments:

Post a Comment